HLF Undergraduate Scholarship
Hong Leong Foundation Scholarship
The Hong Leong Foundation offers scholarships to Malaysians intending to pursue further studies in Diploma or Undergraduate Degree programme. The scholarship is offered annually and the call for application starts on 1st April and ends 31st of May each year.
The scholarship is awarded to those pursuing in Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Undergraduate Studies (1st degree course in ANY course or field of studies on full time basis at recognised public and private universities and colleges in Malaysia.
The selected scholarship recipient will receive:
The HLF Undergraduate Scholarship is a non-bonding scholarship.
Please read the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ) thoroughly to fully understand the HLF Scholarship offers before applying.
How do I apply?
- You have to apply online via the APPLY NOW tab above.
- You must have a GMAIL email account to complete the online application form.
- You may use your existing GMAIL account or if you don’t have one, do create a GMAIL email account to proceed with application.
When is the opening and closing date for the scholarship application?
The scholarship application will be open from 1st April to 31st May each year. All applications must be received by this time to be considered.
How many times in a year does Hong Leong Foundation offer scholarships?
It is offered only once a year, i.e. after the announcement of STPM and SPM results.
Who can apply?
- It is open to Malaysian citizens aged between 17 - 25 years who have sat for the SPM/STPM examination the previous year and received your results in month of March of the present year.
- Those who are currently doing their Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Degree programme (Year 1, 2 or 3) in any recognised local colleges and universities can also apply.
- Total household income must be RM5,000 and below per month.
How much is the scholarship amount?
- Undergraduate studies in Public Universities -- RM 8,500/ = p.a.
- Diploma/Advanced Diploma courses in Public Universities -- RM 6,000/ = p.a.
- Undergraduate studies at local private universities -- up to RM 24,000/ = p.a.
- ("3+0" degree programmes on full-time and on-campus basis) Medicine/Dentistry courses in local Private Universities – up to RM 32,000/ = p.a.
What are the courses/fields of study offered?
Applicants can pursue to study Diploma, Advance Diploma and Undergraduate Studies (1st degree course) in ANY course at recognised public and private universities and colleges on full time basis in Malaysia.
Those pursuing STPM, A-Levels, Matriculation, Foundation, Pre-U, and equivalent courses are not eligible.
What are the academic requirements for sponsorship?
- SPM : Minimum 8As
- STPM / Matriculation / A-Level / Foundation / Diploma / Degree : Minimum CGPA of 3.5 (Please convert the scoring to CGPA when applying if your scoring is not currently in this format.)
Should the documents submitted be original?
- During the online application process, you need to upload a certified-true-copy of the original version by relevant parties like your school, university, etc.
- If you are shortlisted for an interview, you will be required to bring the original version or certified-true-copies during the interview session.
- Please take note that you will be immediately rejected and black-listed should we find that you have forged the documents or provide false information, especially information related to your financial status and family background in the online application form.
Can I apply if I have physical disability and impairment (with OKU status)?
You are encouraged to apply and we will give special consideration to your application.
If I am already an existing scholarship holder or receive financial aid from other organisation/sources, can I still apply for HLF scholarship?
Applicants must not be in receipt of financial aid from any other organisation or be under obligation to serve a bond.
If I receive Merit Scholarship from the University I am studying at, can I still apply for HLF scholarship?
Applicants should not be receiving financial aid from the University as well unless the financial assistance provided by the University is in the form of discounted course fees and that you still require additional financial aid to cover the remaining tuition fees, you may proceed to Apply.
Please take note, for Private University scholars, the scholarship only covers tuition fees and HLF will disburse the scholarship to the university directly.
Do you offer sponsorship to study overseas?
No, the scholarship is only for full time courses conducted in Malaysia only.
What happens if I miss the deadline?
Late applications will not be considered.
But I haven’t got my offer letter from a university or college yet? How can I apply?
You may apply first and offer of scholarship to you by Hong Leong Foundation prior to receiving your official offer letter from your university/college will be regarded as "provisional offer".
If you are shortlisted, you may send the official university/college offer letter to us prior to the interview or bring along on the interview day itself. Application should be based on your first choice of course/field of study and institution applied to.
What is the next step after I submit the application form?
The Scholarship committee will deliberate and shortlist the applicants that fulfils the Foundation’s requirement. If you are shortlisted, you will be notified of the interview date. Please make sure to provide the correct phone number and email address.
When will I know if my application is successful?
If you do not hear from the Foundation by the end of June, you may consider your application unsuccessful.
Where will the interview be held? How long will it take?
The shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview session held at Wisma Hong Leong, Kuala Lumpur. The interview session itself will last between 20 to 30 minutes. In addition, candidates will have to complete an essay during the interview session. Please plan to arrive early for your interview session.
What if I am not able to attend the face to face interview session? Are there other options to conduct the interview?
You MUST attend the face to face interview session at Hong Leong Foundation office. Other options will only be considered based on the severity of the circumstances the candidate is in and to be decided on needs basis.
How many scholarships will be offered?
It may vary slightly each year depending on various factors, but it will be usually between 30 to 40 scholarship recipient each year.
If I am shortlisted candidate, and attended the interview, what happens next?
- The Scholarship committee will review the ratings scored by the interviewer and select the final list of candidates chosen to be HLF Undergraduate Scholar each year.
- The successful and unsuccessful candidates will be notified via email or phone call of the outcome of the interview. You will receive this notification end of August or beginning of September each year.
- The successful HLF Undergraduate Scholarship are required to respond if they accept the offer or not.
Can I take a PTPTN loan and apply for HLF scholarship at the same time?
In the event that your application is successful, and under special circumstances, you may submit a written request seeking for HLF consent to apply for other forms of funding, including for the PTPTN loan.
Can I take a bank loan if the amount is still not enough?
Under normal circumstances - no.
Do I have to apply for scholarships every year?
No. If selected, we will provide the scholarship for the entire duration of your course. The yearly scholarship amount will be paid as per the terms and conditions of the scholar’s scholarship agreement.
What do I have to do If I am a HLF Undergraduate Scholarship recipient?
The Scholarship committee will be in touch with you and share details pertaining to the agreement and scholarship award ceremony held end of September each year.
What happens during the HLF Scholarship Award Ceremony?
- The selected scholars will receive an invitation, itinerary and step by step guide about the ceremony.
- It is COMPULSORY for the selected scholars to attend the award ceremony usually held end of September.
- You will be briefed about the agreement and will be given time to review the agreement and address any doubts.
- It is a MUST to sign the agreement and return to the scholarship officer before you leave.
What other benefits come with the scholarship?
- Throughout the tenure of the scholarship, the Foundation will also organise various enrichment programmes such as leadership or motivational camps, talks, seminars, factory tours, career development day, etc. for the benefit of scholars.
- Apart from financial assistance, the Hong Leong Foundation Scholarship Programme also offers opportunities for industrial training or internship at relevant group subsidiary companies.
- You are welcomed to seek employment with the Group upon graduation. Job availability will be on need basis. The Human Resource Department conducts Career Fair in various operating companies within the Group. Invitation to join these careers will be made via Scholar Facebook page.
As HLF Scholar, what do I have to do to ensure that the scholarship agreement is not void?
- Achieve a minimum CGPA of 3.30 each semester.
- Reflect active classroom attendance (min 95% of the classroom session).
- Join the Enrichment Programme and other activities organised by Hong Leong Foundation when necessary.
- To use your time in University wisely by participating in meaningful and purposeful activities and volunteer programmes. (please do share with us the activities that you join)
What happens if I do not achieve the minimum CGPA of 3.30?
The HLF Scholarship team will:
- Review your results and attendance record and determine the next steps.
- You will receive a WARNING LETTER if you do meet the minimum requirement.
- Depending on the severity of the matter, the Foundation team will arrange for a meeting with the scholars in person for an inquest to identify the issues causing poor result.
- Please take note that this process may take time and indirectly, delay or halt the tuition fees payment process for the following semester.
How often do you pay out the scholarship amount and to whom?
Payment for Scholars as below:
- Public University Scholars: The agreed amount will be banked into the student’s Hong Leong Bank account once a year.
- Private University Scholars: The agreed amount will be paid directly to the institution each semester based on the received invoice throughout the duration of the studies.
What do I need to do once I have been awarded with HLF scholarship?
Once you have signed the scholarship agreement, you are required to do the following:
- Public University Scholar:
- Inform the Student’s Affair department of the university and notify them that you are a HLF scholarship recipient.
- At the end of each year of studies, the scholar is required to submit the semester results to Hong Leong Foundation (min CGPA 3.3). Upon satisfactory submission of the required information, the subsequent scholarship amount will be processed accordingly.
- If your CGPA Is 3.3 and below, you are required to submit your attendance record as well. The scholars need to reflect that you have attended 95% of the classroom sessions.
- Private University Scholar:
- Inform the Student’s Affair department of the university and notify them that you are a scholarship recipient.
- Please inform the Person-In-Charge in Student’s Affair Department to send over the original invoice for each semester to HLF.
*IMPORTANT: If the university did not send the invoice to the Foundation, it is the responsibility of the scholars to liaise with the University to get a copy of the invoice along with other supporting documents (each semester results) from the university and send it Hong Leong Foundation to expedite the payment process. The invoice must be an original copy. Please post the invoice to:
Hong Leong Foundation,
Corporate Social Responsibility Department,
Level 10, Wisma Hong Leong,
18, Jalan Perak,
50450 Kuala Lumpur
- Additionally, the scholar is required to submit each semester results to Hong Leong Foundation (min CGPA 3.3). Upon satisfactory submission of the required information, the subsequent scholarship amount will be processed accordingly.
- If your CGPA Is 3.3 and below, you are required to submit your attendance record as well.
Can I change my programme or course midway during my studies?
Yes, you are allowed to change course. However, you are required to notify Hong Leong Foundation in writing with supporting documents and seek for HLF consent on this matter. Term and conditions apply.
Can I join Student Exchange Programme offered by the University during the tenure of studies?
- HLF Scholars are allowed to join Student Exchange Programme offered by the University. However, the scholar is required to inform the Foundation of your decision to join.
- Please take note that the Foundation will not cover the cost of the Student Exchange programme and you need to cover the cost on your own.
- The Foundation will also halt the scholarship pay-out until you resume your studies back in Malaysia.
Will I have to pay anything back after I graduate?
No, Hong Leong Foundation scholarship is NOT a loan so you don’t have to pay anything back.
Will I have to work for the Hong Leong Group after I graduate?
- Our scholarship is non-bonding, which means that there is no obligation to serve the Group after your graduate.
- Scholars are welcomed to explore employment opportunities with the Group upon graduation.
Can I continue for further studies after I get my first degree?
Whatever you do after graduation is up to you, and we would certainly encourage you to further your education. However, the Hong Leong Foundation does not provide scholarship beyond Undergraduate Degree Programme (First Degree).
Who can I contact for additional information or special inquiries?
The Hong Leong Foundation Secretariat at 03 2164 1818 (Extension 8015)